With the diversity in culture and natural conditions among regions, rice is classified into long, medium, and short grain, in which long and short grain rice are widely traded. People usually compare long grain rice with short grain rice to see the differences between them.
- 1 An overview of the world’s rice industry
- 2 Long Grain Rice vs Short Grain Rice
- 3 Commercial potentials of long grain rice and short grain rice
- 4 Top companies providing long grain rice and short grain rice
An overview of the world’s rice industry
There are many rice types, which are distinguished based on numerous criteria. In terms of length, rice is divided into 3 main types: long grain rice, medium grain rice, and short grain rice.
Generally, long grain rice is more than 6.61 mm long, while the length of short grain rice is under 5.50mm. In addition, long grain rice is drier than short grain rice due to differences in starch content.
Rice market size is expanding. According to the World Agricultural Organization (FAO), world rice production reached 508.4 million tons in 2020, increasing by 1.52% compared to 2019. Although the Covid19 pandemic has had negative impacts on the global economy, rice production and consumption keep increasing.
Long Grain Rice vs Short Grain Rice
5 following criteria are usually used to make a comparison between long grain rice vs short grain rice.
|Long grain rice||Short grain rice|
|Length||> 6 mm||around 5.2 mm|
|Adhesiveness||Drier than short grain rice||Stickier than long grain rice|
|Fluffiness||Fluffy even when it is hot or cold||More sticky when it is cold|
|Diversity||jasmine rice, basmati rice, black rice, etc.||Arborio rice, carnaroli rice, japonica, etc.|
Short Grain Rice
- Appearance: Short grain rice has a round and plump shape, which is under 5.5mm long.
- Flavor: savory and sweet
- Texture: Short grain rice contains Amylopectin; therefore, the stickiness of the rice is the best compared to other types when cooking.
- Many Asian countries have used short grain rice and created famous dishes such as Chinese Fried Rice, Sushi, Quick Spanish Rice, Thai Coconut Rice, etc.
Long Grain Rice
- Appearance: Long grain rice is a type of rice with thinner and elongated grains, usually 3-5 times longer than its width.
- Aroma: light
- Texture: Due to Amylose starch content, long grain rice has a dry texture with relatively low adhesion ability. When it cooks up, long grain rice’s texture is fluffy and light. The grains are flexible even though they are cooled down.
- Indian and European people enjoy famous dishes made from long grain rice such as Kumbh Pulao, Risotto, and Baked Beans with Buttered Rice.
Commercial potentials of long grain rice and short grain rice
Having various impressive characteristics from appearance to texture, a large volume of long grain rice and short grain rice are consumed in many parts of the world. It can be said that both types of rice will bring valuable profit for retailers, traders, and wholesalers.
- Large-scale rice production
Growing areas of long grain rice and short grain rice are located in many countries, from Asia to the Americas. In particular, the high rate of long grain rice growth is recorded in Asia and North America. However, short grain rice is widely cultivated in Japan and China.
- Huge export volume
In 2018, long grain rice was recognized to be the most widely consumed food because of the considerable demand for exporting this rice type to many destinations. For example, jasmine and basmati are two representatives of long grain rice that are widely provided by reputable rice suppliers. Besides, many countries such as Australia, the United States, and Taiwan have spent significant expenditure on importing short grain rice from Japan and Korea.
- Easy preservation
Another strong point of trading long grain rice and short grain rice is that they are easy to preserve. For good preservation, the appropriate temperature is 40℉. If the rice is stored in dry and clean containers, it will last from 6 to 12 months with a good condition.
Top companies providing long grain rice and short grain rice
If you are looking for a reliable source of long grain rice and short grain rice, here is the recommendation of top reputable companies supplying the two rice types.
Based in Hanoi, K-Agriculture provides a stable source of long grain rice and short grain rice to over 80 countries over the world. Both rice types are grown by skillful farmers, and undergo a modern processing system. Besides, K-Agriculture Factory also provides many rice for wholesale such as high-quality white rice in bulk. As a result, it can be said that long grain rice and short grain rice from K-Agriculture meet strict standards and satisfy customer demands.
Head office: K Building, 171 Nguyen Ngoc Vu Street, Hanoi, Vietnam
Whatsapp: +84855555694 (Ms. Evelyn – Sales Manager of K-Agriculture Factory)
Combining modern technologies into farming, RiceTec is the leading company of long grain rice and short grain rice in America. Products from this rice company are friendly to growers, beneficial for customers, and profitable for business people.
J.K. Seeds is an Indian company providing short and long grain rice, with 125-year operations. The company focuses on sustainable development with high-quality goods. Hence, its distribution expands nationwide and around the world.
Located in Missouri and Arkansas, Riceland is a major exporter of rice. in particular, long grain rice and short grain rice. Each year, the company distributes a huge quantity of rice to 75 nations.