People have many criteria for rice classification such as grain length or its properties. However, rice can be categorized based on the processing method, including brown rice and white rice. There are many distinct differences between brown rice and white rice.
Comparison between brown and white rice
The following table is a short summary of the comparison between brown rice and white rice, depending on 5 criteria.
|Brown rice||White rice|
|Way of processing||Removing only the husk||Removing both the husk and the bran|
|Nutrition||More nutritious because of the high content of vitamins, fiber, and minerals.||Less nutritious because of the low content of vitamins, fiber, and minerals.|
|Shelf life||6 months||10 years|
|Price||$1.99/ pound||$0.71/ pound|
Differences between brown rice and white rice
Apart from the color, there are many aspects to distinguish brown rice from white rice, which are health benefits and price.
Brown rice is a result of removing only the husk – the outer part of a grain. The rice retains the bran and the inside kernel, which contain a great number of minerals, vitamins, and fiber. These layers make rice grains brown.
On the other hand, white rice is the most common rice type. Rice grains will be well-milled, in which the husk and the bran are removed. Therefore, the rice grain has a white color.
According to the U.S Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database, both brown rice and white rice are beneficial to human well-being.
Brown rice contains a high content of antioxidants and fiber, and low calories (218 calories per cup after cooking). In addition, the amount of minerals and vitamins in brown rice is considerably high. As a result, eating brown rice can help to:
- Control weight
- Prevent chronic diseases and heart attack
- Reduce the level of cholesterol and the blood pressure
- Lower the risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes
White rice, in contrast, is low in fiber content and higher in calories (242 calories per cup after cooking). The rice also contains a considerable amount of carbohydrates. Hence, white rice helps people to:
- Provide energy
- Improve the immune system
- Control the blood pressure
- Boost muscle growth
Normally, the price of brown rice is higher than that of white rice. While a pound of brown rice costs $1.99, while it costs $0.71 per pound of white rice. There are several reasons explaining the difference in the price of the two rice types.
- Firstly, compared to brown rice, the production scale of white rice is much larger. As a result, it is cheaper to manufacture white rice than brown rice.
- Secondly, the shelf life of brown rice is much shorter than that of white rice. Brown rice is best used in around 6 months because its bran contains less oil. To preserve the quality of brown rice, more resources are required such as airtight containers and modern equipment during production, storage, and delivery.
- Lastly, the high price of brown rice results from its richness of nutrition. The number of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients included in a cup of brown rice is much higher than that in its counterpart. Therefore, white rice is sold at a lower price than brown rice.
If you are looking for a distributor of brown rice and white rice, please contact K-Agriculture Factory. We are affirming to provide the best quality, useful consultation, reasonable prices, and professional delivery.
For further information, please visit the website k-agriculture.com or WhatsApp +84855555694 (Ms.Evelyn).