Black pepper powder is a familiar spice in most Vietnamese dishes as well as other countries around the world. With the same use as black pepper, it also gives users many health benefits and convenience when used.
- 1 The brief information about black pepper powder
- 2 Countries which supply black pepper power
- 3 Elements affecting to black pepper powder wholesale price
- 4 Top 3 good black pepper powder suppliers in the world
The brief information about black pepper powder
Black pepper powder is a versatile spice and has been quite familiar to consumers for a long time. However, not many people fully understand the properties and characteristics of black pepper powder.
The definition of black pepper powder
Black pepper powder or ground black pepper is a powdered spice with ingredients of 100% finely ground black pepper. The English name is black pepper powder and the scientific name is Piper nigrum. It is made by grinding black pepper.
Black pepper powder is not only a kitchen staple but is also considered the “king of spices” and has been used in ancient Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years due to its high concentration of helpful plant compounds.
Characteristics of black pepper powder
Black pepper powder has quite similar properties to black pepper.
- In powder form, black pepper retains its nutrients as well as its characteristic spicy smell and strong aroma.
- Like other powdered spices, black pepper powder helps users save time in preparing ingredients for dishes. It helps food when marinated or preliminarily processed to absorb faster and more evenly.
- Besides, black pepper powder creates convenience for users in storage. If it is stored carefully in a sealed container, with a lid, pepper will take a long time to evaporate oil and can be used for a long time.
- Furthermore, black pepper powder contains 1.2-2 percent essential oil, 5-9 percent piperine, 2.2-6 percent chanvixin, 8% fat, 36% starch, and 4% ash, as well as a significant amount of vitamin C. (Piperine and chanvixin are two types of pungent alkaloids that give pepper its spicy flavor.)
Black pepper powder wholesale price
The price of black pepper powder has fluctuated non-stop from the beginning of 2021 until now. Especially, in October, 2021 black pepper powder price witnessed an increase because of the shortage of supply while demand in the international market such as the U.S, China, and Europe remain high.
- Indonesia is the most volatile market with an increase of 3.4% (equivalent to 150 USD/ton), reaching 4,545 USD/ton on November 15, 2021
- India’s black pepper powder price also increased 1% from the end of October to $6,531/ton (FOB).
- While its prices in Brazil and Malaysia were stable at 4,300 USD/ton and 5,200 USD/ton (FOB).
- In contrast, Vietnam’s black pepper powder price decreased by more than 2% (equivalent to a decrease of USD 100/ton), fluctuating at USD 4,290 – USD 4,390/ton for 500g/l and 550g/l. Even so, the black pepper prices of Vietnam, Indonesia and Brazil are still 1.5 times higher (50-53%) compared to the beginning of this year.
- Similarly, black pepper powder price in India and Malaysia also increased by 36.2% and 41.5% respectively.
Along with the tight supply in Vietnam and world pepper exporting countries, large output and high production costs, especially fertilizers, gasoline, transportation charges… also push pepper prices high in the near future. This makes more profit for sellers.
Main black pepper powder consumption markets
The United States and China are the two main markets for black pepper powder consumption.
- The United States
According to data from the US International Trade Commission, the US pepper imports, especially black pepper powder, in the last 3 years have tended to increase, from 74.9 thousand tons in 2018 to 84.3 thousand tons in 2019 and 86.6 thousand tons in 2020.
The largest pepper supplying markets to the US market in the first 3 months of 2021 include Vietnam with 12.4 thousand tons, up 8.4% over the same period in 2020 (accounting for 65.4% market share); Indonesia reached 2.5 thousand tons, up 83.5% (accounting for 13.1% market share); India reached 1.8 thousand tons, up 39.5% (9.3% market share).
- China – increase imports of black pepper powder
Import value of Chinese pepper in the first 3 months of 2021 reached 14.9 million USD, up 2.4% over the same period last year 2020. In which, the import value of China’s black pepper powder increased sharply by 50.1% over the same period in 2020, reaching 1.2 million USD.
Regarding the import market, Indonesia is the largest source of black pepper for the Chinese market with a value of USD 9.89 million in the first 3 months of 2021, up 21.8% over the same period in 2020. Ranked second is Vietnam, with a value of $2.2 million, down 29.5% over the same period in 2020.
Countries which supply black pepper power
Brazil, Vietnam, and Indonesia are countries recorded with the largest black pepper powder volumes for export.
- Vietnam: Due to its enormous pepper growing area of 140.00 ha and cheap costs compared to other countries, Vietnam has become the world’s largest black pepper powder producing and exporting country. It mainly exported to two significant markets in 2020: China (93.54 million) and the United States (92.45M). Furthermore, the EVFTA deal, which eliminates tariffs by 99 percent, supports Vietnam’s export activities to EU countries.
- Brazil: Brazil has long been a leader in the export of black pepper. The country’s wide growing area (30.000 hectares), product diversification, and geographical conditions, which include lowlands, adequate rainfall, and mild winters, all contribute to the country’s high manufacturing productivity.
- Indonesia: In Indonesia, pepper is planted on 117.900 hectares. Furthermore, pepper growing enterprises in Indonesia are smallholder plantations that continue to use traditional pepper planting practices. Human and capital resources, as well as technology application, are other elements that can be mentioned. Although pepper output in Indonesia is not as high as in Vietnam or Brazil, the grade of Indonesian black pepper is fairly good.
Elements affecting to black pepper powder wholesale price
There are many factors affecting black pepper powder wholesale price, but the following factors are the main ones.
- Supply and demand: Production and demand determine the price of black pepper powder. According to reports, this year’s peak in black pepper powder prices is due to strong demand around Christmas or New Year’s activities, as well as a scarcity of supply due to the COVID – 19 outbreak. According to IPC, black pepper prices were 62-83 percent more in 2020 than in the previous years. And wholesale black pepper price is expected to continue to rise in the next few years.
- Shipment: The Covid-19 outbreak causes transportation-related problems such as a shortage of vacant containers and high shipping rates. As a result, the price of black pepper powder is also pushed up and consumers will have to pay a higher price to buy the product.
- Government policies: Currently, the number of free trade agreements has expanded dramatically, and many nations around the world are forming economic and diplomatic alliances and participating in several bilateral and multilateral trade accords. With new-generation trade agreements bringing significant commitments to lower tariffs, export prices of commodities in general, and black pepper powder export prices in particular, are likely to fall in the near future.
Traders need to understand the factors which affect black pepper powder price to buy products with the best price.
Top 3 good black pepper powder suppliers in the world
Although there are millions of black pepper powder suppliers around the world, here are three that we recommend:
Arco Associados – one of the reliable exporters in Brazil
Arco Associado is a company based in Vitória, Brazil, that was founded in 2008. It is an exporter with over ten years of expertise supplying and exporting agricultural commodities such as rice and black pepper, white pepper, black pepper powder,.. to a variety of international markets. The EU, Germany, the United Arab Emirates, and Pakistan are Arco Associados’ key pepper export markets.
PT Agri Spice- a well-known Indonesian supplier
For the past 25 years, Pt. Agri spice (Indonesia) has been one of Indonesia’s leading spice processors and exporters. It specializes in delivering high-quality agricultural commodities to North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia, such as vanilla, nutmeg, black pepper, white pepper, black pepper powder, and cinnamon.
K- Agriculture – the best supplier in Vietnam
K-Agriculture, located in Hanoi-Vietnam, is one of the reputable black pepper powder suppliers with 25-year experience in exporting agricultural goods including rice, coffee…, especially many products of black pepper manufacturers to many fastidious markets. Its main pepper export markets are Africa, the USA, and Japan.. Supported by the Ministry of Industry and Trade, K-Agriculture has brought the best Vietnamese agricultural products to the international market. Working with the slogan “Quality is King”, K-Agriculture always guarantees the best quality products at the most competitive price. The company has already got many certificates such as HACCP, ISO 9000, or FSSC 22000.
For more information, contact us:
Phone/Whatsapp: +84855 555 837