Pepper has been considered as a familiar ingredient in most meals for a long time. If you already know about the effects of black pepper, what about white pepper? Let’s read the following information to understand the usage and benefits of white pepper.
- 1 An overview about white pepper
- 2 Economic value of white pepper
- 3 White pepper: Useful effects
- 4 The usage of white pepper
- 5 White pepper: Things you should know when buying and using it
- 6 Reliable brands of white pepper
An overview about white pepper
Although white pepper is not as popular as black pepper, its useful functions nobody can deny. The following information will give you an overview of white pepper.
Definition of white pepper
Skull pepper is another name for white pepper. White pepper is a pepper that has its outer shell removed. To make white pepper, individuals must pick the pepper when it is ripe, then soak it in water to soften the skin, and then rub it clean.
The pepper core or skull is the only thing left. After being dried and sun-dried, pepper has a yellowish-white tint. The white pepper’s surface is smoother and less wrinkled than black pepper.
Characteristics of white pepper
White pepper has many different characteristics from black pepper. The buyer can identify white pepper through the following characteristics:
As its name, white pepper is ivory-white or gray in color, less wrinkled and less aromatic (because the skin contains essential oils) but spicier (because the fruit is ripe).
White pepper usually has a round shape from 3mm to 6mm in diameter wrinkled seed surface, slightly flattened apex, slightly convex at the umbilicus, and dark brown lines running from the top to the seed stalk. The color of white pepper ranges from light brownish gray to slightly off-white.
White pepper is softer in flavor than black pepper because of going through many stages such as soaking in water, rubbing its crust. It’s suitable to go well with white foods like cream sauces and mashed potatoes. It has a more earthy scent than black pepper and it tastes hotter, creamier than black pepper.
- Storage time
The storage duration of white pepper is shortened as a result of its more sophisticated processing. When it is stored for an extended period of time, it creates a bitter flavor and loses its unique pepper flavor.
White pepper is slightly more expensive than black pepper, due to the additional processing required. This pepper has to be made with high-quality pepper.
- Place of consumption
White pepper is not commonly used as a necessary spice in the United States, but it is widely used in sauces, potatoes, soups, and beverages in Europe.
The production process of white pepper
There are two ways to produce white pepper: Making white pepper by hand without bleaching and by bleaching.
- By hand without bleaching: After picking, the peppers will be incubated until they are fully ripe or no longer require brewing, then soaked in water for 3 to 5 days to create a blanket, then rubbed and the shell removed. Because most of the rubbing is done by hand, it is a time-consuming process. After rubbing the pepper, the producers will remove the shell, which we will then wash with clean water and either bask or dry. At this time, the pepper is skull pepper, but it is ivory yellow rather than white, and the product is referred to as handmade skull pepper.
- By bleaching: To make white pepper by bleaching process. Normally, H2O2 is used to make white pepper, which is the type of solution on the list for use in food processing at the allowed content. Soak colored pepper for about 1-2 hours and then rinse with water and hang or dry. Under sunlight or drying room temperature will decompose H2O2 -> H2O + O2. At this time, the pepper will be whiter and more beautiful, the economic value is also higher, so it is also called white pepper.
Economic value of white pepper
Pepper has high economic value and is one of the key commodities for export.
- White pepper is used in medicine: White pepper is used medicinally in many countries around the world. In China, white pepper is made into a paste for healing. In India, people use white pepper to cure diseases, strengthen the body tired after fever and prevent recurrence of malaria. In Indonesia, white pepper is used as an ingredient in some tonics and pain relievers for women after giving birth. In Nepal, the standard is combined with many different drugs to make medicine for colds, colds, indigestion, arthritis.
- White pepper is used as a spice in the preparation of daily dishes: Pepper has the effect of warming the abdomen, reducing pain, anti-vomiting, stimulating digestion, stimulating the taste buds to help us feel good, stimulating the digestive system to work, enhancing the functioning of the pancreas.
- White pepper is used in the flavor industry: Physiotherapists in Russia, through a period of research, have drawn the conclusion: Peppermint essential oil, when put a few drops into the bath, will bring a sense of clarity and alertness. And the most important thing is to increase sex drive.
- Growing pepper helps to reduce unemployment and bring high income for workers: The pepper industry needs a lot of labor force so it creates jobs and contributes to reducing unemployment. Moreover, the selling price of pepper is also at a high level, so it generates high income for those working in the industry.
White pepper: Useful effects
White pepper, like black pepper, is found as a cooking condiment to help stimulate appetite , improve your health and quicken digestion. Besides, white pepper is also a useful medicinal herb.
- Treat colds: With high levels of vitamin C, white pepper helps treat colds, coughs and stuffy noses. Besides, white pepper contains antibacterial qualities that treat constipation and diarrhea.
Weight loss: Due to a high concentration of phytonutrients, white pepper has the ability to break down fat cells that build over time in the body.
- Cure arthritis: Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, the piperine in pepper is very useful in the treatment of arthritis. Furthermore, this wonderful spice also helps to improve blood circulation, prevent and limit joint pain caused by poor blood circulation.
- Protect skin: Dried white pepper helps to cure vitiligo, a skin disease that causes some areas of the skin to lose its pigmentation and turn white. According to scientists in London, the white pepper can stimulate the skin to produce pigment very well. The results of treatment of white pepper with ultraviolet light therapy are much better than other chemical treatments. Besides, using white pepper also reduces the risk of skin cancer.
- Resist bacteria: White pepper is used to treat illnesses and bug bites because of its antibacterial features. When adding white pepper to your regular diet, it will keep your blood clean by functioning similarly to fiber and eliminating excess cholesterol, minimizing the risk of atherosclerosis, heart attack and stroke.
- Other Benefits: Apart from the above listed uses, white pepper also helps prevent ear pain and necrosis, as well as the treatment of hernia, hoarseness and insect bites. White pepper is used to treat tooth decay and toothache. In ancient times, pepper was applied to heal visual problems.
The usage of white pepper
There are several reasons why you would prefer white pepper. It is a good substitute if you don’t want the heat or the color.
- To hide the presence of pepper specks, we can use white pepper in creamy soups or chowders. Because white pepper is so prominent in Asian cuisine (pepper comes from India, but Vietnam is the leading supplier now), many people will link it with Chinese soups, marinades, and even stir fries.
- If you want to replace black pepper with white pepper or vice versa, consider how this will change the flavor of your food. White pepper has a more complex flavor because of its fermentation.
- Apart from being used as a spice in many dishes, white pepper is also used for beauty. You can grind some white pepper and mix it with yogurt to make a hair mask, or use it in an exfoliating mixture (combined with coconut oil, sugar, etc.) to clean pores.
White pepper: Things you should know when buying and using it
There are many white pepper suppliers nowadays which you can not verify. So, buyers and consumers need to know this information to buy high quality white pepper.
- When purchasing white pepper, make sure you purchase it from trustworthy sources with provenance and origin and inspect it carefully to avoid moldy, low-quality pepper. When using, pay attention not to abuse the dish, depending on the amount of food, sprinkle a little pepper powder on top.
- When eaten in small quantities, pepper is very good for digestion but when consumed in big quantities, it can cause abdominal pain and other gastrointestinal responses. White pepper should be avoided by patients with stomach problems.
- Using too much white pepper regularly can cause dry and flaky skin. If you have dry skin, you should avoid using a lot of white pepper as it can make your condition worse with itchy and sensitive skin.
- Don’t fry, stir-fry pepper in oil at high temperature, pepper should only be added when the dish is about to be on the plate. When cooking dishes with pepper-marinated meat, do not cook for a long time to avoid losing the aroma.
- To preserve the perfume and spicy flavor of pepper, you should only grind a tiny amount, enough for a few weeks. After pureeing, you need to store it in a glass jar with a tight lid to keep the scent.
Reliable brands of white pepper
There are many white pepper brands nowadays, in order to avoid mistakes when buying white pepper, you should be a smart consumer. The following information can be useful for you.
PT. Nirwana Karya Abadi – Indonesian white pepper supplier
PT. Nirwana Karya Abadi is one of the leading companies in Indonesia which has 17 years of experience in specializing in providing white pepper all over the world with good quality and reasonable prices to the customers.
K-Agriculture – Vietnamese white pepper supplier
Being known as a 25- year experience exporter, K- Agriculture always offers high-quality white pepper with the verified origin, meeting international standards ISO, BRC, HACCP to many clients worldwide.
For more information about K-Agriculture’s products, contact us via:
WhatsApp: +84855 555 837
Vietnam pepper (PHL)
With a long history of exporting many types of pepper, including red pepper, white peppercorns, and black pepper with contemporary, closed, hygienic production facilities that produce many types of pepper with a distinct aroma. India, Korea, and Europe are the main export destinations for PHL Vietnam pepper…