Organic rice is good for health, so organic rice is chosen by many consumers to protect the health of themselves and their families. Besides, organic rice is farmed in unique ways to be safe for health.
- 1 Overview of organic rice
- 2 Ways to identify organic rice
- 3 How much and how to buy organic rice?
- 4 Top organic rice brands
Overview of organic rice
Organic rice is grown according to natural methods, using organic fertilizers, microorganisms, without using pesticides. Focus on each production planning area to minimize pests and diseases harmful to rice. Organic rice is grown in clean land, without chemicals and pollution, unaffected by industrial wastes, hospitals, cemeteries, other pollution sources, and fields with long-term use of chemical fertilizers. Fields must be treated by using microbial organic fertilizers for at least 3 consecutive crops.
Organic rice is a product that is certified by the US and Europe as a 100% clean food without genetic modification, without the use of growth stimulants, pesticides, organic chemicals, bleaching, coloring agents, no preservatives. Organic rice especially has high nutritional content. Therefore, organic rice is very popular with many customers. Organic rice has been tested and certified for absolute safety and benefits for consumers.
Organic rice production process
Not all rice varieties today are produced according to the same process and are considered organic. Organic rice is grown and managed by its own process. A basic process needs to have the following steps:
- Soil management: Prohibit the use of agrochemicals.
- Varieties: Using varieties on the list of permitted use in the country, banned from using genetically modified plant varieties.
- Fertilizers (including fertilizers and supplements): Only use organic fertilizers such as manure, composted green manure. Prohibit the use of chemical fertilizers, human excrement, chemical growth stimulants.
- Water for irrigation: Use clean, unpolluted water for irrigation. Prohibit the use of industrial wastewater. Must ensure that contaminated water from other rice fields does not flow into his family’s field.
- Transplanting: Transplanting according to rice technique SRI
- Plant protection drugs: Prohibit the use of chemical plant protection drugs, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and fungicides.
- Harvest: Harvest rice under appropriate conditions, ensuring the isolation period after using natural plant protection materials, biological plant protection, or herbs. Rice in brand new, white packaging with no letters. Sanitize transport vehicles before transporting rice. Clean the sprayer before injecting rice to ensure that it is not mixed with other varieties, rocky soil, gravel.
- Dry: Drying the rice immediately after harvesting to the storage humidity (12-13%), Drying the rice after harvesting in a safe and clean place.
- Post-harvest storage: Rice that has been fanned clean after drying or drying should be stored in a clean and cool place. The warehouse for storing rice must be separate from the storage of other raw materials such as gasoline, oil, etc.
- Rice processing: Clean the milling machine area and milling tools. Never use chemical materials at the milling site.
- Packing: the packing area must be clean, wash hands and cover hair when packing, prevent any contamination of foreign substances (such as insects, hair, stones, garbage). Weigh the correct weight, write complete information on the rice bag according to regulations.
- Waste treatment: Collect waste around rice production and processing areas regularly to avoid polluting the surrounding environment.
Benefits of choosing organic rice
Organic products are in high demand nowadays because of their higher health benefits and vitamin content. The same is true when it comes to rice. Organic rice, whether white or brown, is a nutrient-dense food that is high in minerals, vitamins, and therapeutic chemicals.
- Helping you lose weight
Fiber, protein, magnesium, thiamine, calcium, and potassium are all abundant in brown organic rice. It aids in the acceleration of metabolism and the removal of extra fat. The selenium and manganese concentration in organic rice (brown) aids weight loss in persons who are trying to lose weight.
- Diabetes is managed
People with diabetes can experience an improvement in their condition after eating brown organic rice. Insulin spikes are reduced thanks to the low glycaemic index.
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
When you choose organic rice, your heart will be improved. Selenium is abundant in organic rice, often known as brown rice’s types. Selenium is an essential mineral that has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease and a certain type of cancer. Organic rice has also been shown to help with rheumatoid arthritis in studies.
- Helping indigestion
White rice, especially organic white rice, is recognized to help with digestion. It aids in the burning of calories and increasing metabolism, making it ideal for a weight-loss diet.
Ways to identify organic rice
Organic rice has an “appearance” that is not much different from conventional rice in the market, so it is easy to be confused, especially with clean rice. Clean rice or rice grown according to VietGap, Global Gap standards, etc. is rice grown with the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and some other artificial treatment methods during the cultivation process. But with a permissible dose, to ensure safety when used.
Consumers can only identify organic rice through the “organic” label/certification information written on the package, and feel the most obvious difference when eating.
- Organic label: “100% Organic”, “Organic”, “Made with organic ingredients”
- Organic certification: PGS Vietnam, USDA (USA), ACO (Australia), EU Organic (EU), JAS (Japan), etc.
How much and how to buy organic rice?
The price of organic rice for wholesale is considered to be more expensive than conventional rice. Organic rice production must not use chemical fertilizers, chemical pesticides; must build isolation areas, dams to prevent water outside so as not to affect production areas. To do so is very expensive; Estimated rice yield of 4.5 tons of rice/ha, the cost of rice has reached 32,000 VND/kg. For example, if a manufacturer has 100 hectares of rice certified organic according to IFOAM’s standards, the retail price of certified organic rice at 45,000-50,000 VND/kg is “supporting consumers” but not yet profitable.
Not only is rice sold domestically, but the export price of organic rice is also much higher than that of conventional rice, which is 2-3 times.
Currently, you can easily find organic rice products at supermarkets, convenience stores, department stores and even in markets and e-commerce platforms (Shopee, Lazada, Amazon, etc). However, to shop with peace of mind, you can choose reputable brands with certification of distribution directly from the manufacturer.
Top organic rice brands
Organic rice is a food that has been certified as being free of genetic alteration, growth stimulants, pesticides, and bleach in the US and Europe. As a result, this sort of rice is exclusively available from a few rice suppliers.
Orgagro Organic rice
Orgagro organic rice is inspired by the name Organic Grow, with the aim of bringing Vietnamese people in general and the world in particular with safe, flavorful and valuable meals. The current Orgagro brand with the main products: Herbal brown rice, purple jasmine brown rice, jasmine rice. In addition to the above-featured products, the Orgagro organic rice brand is constantly researching and developing new product lines to better serve the needs of consumers.
Ecorice Organic rice
Ecorice rice is produced by Ecotiger Company in the rice-shrimp area of Co Chien river island, the intersection between the lower Mekong River and the East Sea. Ecorice organic rice has a natural white color, long and smooth grains. When cooked, the rice grains are soft, fragrant and sweet when eaten. Currently, Ecorice organic rice products have been certified organic by USDA, EU and JAS (Japan) and most of the products are exported to high-end markets such as the US and Canada and are highly appreciated by customers.
RiceSelect Organic Texmati White Rice
RiceSelect’s Organic White Texmati is a great white rice option because it is non-GMO, gluten-free, and organic. It is also free of chemicals and preservatives. Texmati rice is a one-of-a-kind cultivar described as “basmati rice done the American way.” Its nutty, almost popcorn-like flavor compliments a wide range of recipes, including curries and casseroles, despite lacking the scent of traditional basmati.
Lundberg Family Farms
For over four generations, the Lundberg family has been creating high-quality organic rice products. Since 1937, this family has been growing healthy, great-tasting rice while also caring for the soil, air, water, and wildlife as carefully as our crops—you can trust that when you choose Lundberg. Organic Brown Thai Jasmine Rice is one of their top organic brown rice in bulk.
Thrive Market Organic Black Rice
Although black rice is native to China, it is grown in Italy’s Po Valley. While cooking, this medium-grain rice has a deep purple tint and smells like freshly baked bread. Organic Black Rice from Thrive Market is responsibly sourced and has a nutty flavor and fluffy texture that works well in both sweet and savory dishes.
Organic rice production aids in the resolution of a number of environmental difficulties, as well as being clean and beneficial to human health. Hence, organic rice is becoming increasingly popular and being consumed in larger quantities.
Besides, K-Agriculture is also a reputable rice brand if you want to find a rice distributor in Vietnam, K-Agriculture is supplying many rice products like jasmine rice, ST rice, or glutinous rice.
If you want to buy K-Agriculture’s products, feel free to contact us via: