Since being a very popular and helpful spice, star anise growing has become the concern of many people. With star anise growing you can grow it at home and use it as a spice or you can even start a business with it. This article would give you all the information available about star anise growing, including how you can grow it, so that you can start right now.
- 1 Definition of star anise growing
- 2 5 simple steps to start star anise growing right now
- 3 Star anise growing in Vietnam: The best star anise in the world
- 4 Importing Vietnamese star anise growing
Definition of star anise growing
First we need to learn about some general information of star anise growing.
What is star anise?
Star anise tree is a native tree of North Vietnam and South China.
It belonged to the Liliaceae family of dicotyledonous angiosperms. It is a 5- to 10-meter-tall tropical evergreen tree. The star anise plant features huge, glossy green leaves and lovely, showy white blooms. Eight carpels make up the star-shaped fruit known as the star anise. The fruit is also the part that is most utilized. The star anise fruit is frequently used in cooking as a spice.
The history of star anise growing
Star anise growing has started from a very long time ago. The spice, which may be consumed whole, powdered, or converted into an oil, was originally brought to Europe during the middle ages, around the 17th century, from China.
Nowadays, star anise growing is still continued by native countries like Vietnam and China.
Benefits of star anise growing
Everyone knows that star anise has a lot of health benefits. Furthermore it is also used a lot in cooking to make broths or even star anise tea.
Related: How to make star anise tea
However, in this article, we want to focus on the benefits of star anise growing itself, such as what star anise growing can bring to society and the economy.
Boost the economy
Clearly, an advantage of a country when investing in star anise growing is that it can help that country to grow the economy. This can be done in several ways:
- First of all, star anise growing creates the domestic market for this product. Because the country which has star anise growing can supply itself, the domestic market will have a cheaper price, hence further promotes the usage of star anise.
- Moving on to the next point, star anise growing can be an opportunity for the country to build an exporting market for the product. This is done by the people themselves. When they find star anise a worthy product to invest in, they would start their own business and start exporting star anise to the world. In other words, star anise growing can help a country gain more money from selling star anise to other nations. For example, in 2020, Vietnam has exported $42.4M worth of star anise, all thanks to star anise growing. This product, along with other agricultural products like rice and other spices, has contributed a lot to the Vietnamese economy. The major market of star anise growing from Vietnam is India.
Increase people’s living standard
When the economy of a country develops by star anise growing, it is almost a must that the living standard of people rises. However, star anise growing can help the people of the country in another way.
To demonstrate, star anise growing requires a large plant site to grow it. Furthermore, it needs people to take care and when it ripen someone also has to harvest them. Not only that, a factory or some kind is required to process star anise growing. All these works are opportunities for farmers or workers to get a job. By having a job, they can have a more stable income, and thereby they can increase their lives by themselves.
For example, we, K-Agriculture Factory, are proud of our contribution to Vietnamese society. Starting star anise growing for over 25 years, we have created jobs for hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese farmers and workers over the years. We are also recognized as the honor partner of the Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Trade, hence providing developments to our nation’s economy.
Harvesting season of star anise growing
There are 2 main seasons of star anise growing each year: Spring and Autumn. Both crops have fairly the same amount of star anise collected, but their quality is usually different.
- The Autumn star is smaller, at about 2mm in total length. However, it contains more essential oil. And this is the thing that makes star anise one of the best spices. The essential oil creates the smell and flavor of star anise, therefore having more of it also means that the Autumn flower is more flavorful. Therefore, its price is also higher, at about $8500 per ton.
- Spring star anise growing, on the other hand, is much bigger in size. They are usually around 2.5mm in length. In exchange, they have less oil content in the star and are less flavorful. The price of Spring star anise growing is cheaper than Autumn ones, at about $8150 per ton.
Here is a table concluding all the difference in the 2 crops of star anise growing:
|Characteristic||Autumn star||Spring star|
|Size||Small, 2 – 2.5mm||Big, about 2.5 – 3mm|
5 simple steps to start star anise growing right now
If you are going for star anise growing, here are the 5 comprehensive steps for you to do it.
Step 1: Understanding the requirements of star anise growing
Just like any other plant, star anise growing requires many different characteristics in land and weather in order to grow well:
- Land: The best soil for star anise growing would be the soil that has many compost and humus. This can provide the tree with nutritions that it needs. Furthermore, the soil for star anise growing should be loamy and easy to be drained. The soil can be a little bit acidic. Actually in some cases slightly acidic soil is preferred and optimal.’
- Weather: Star anise tree is a very sturdy plant. It can adapt well with many different types of weather. However, it is best to provide a warm climate for star anise growing. You do not need to be mindful of the sun. Both sunny places or shady ones are appropriate for star anise growing. Just mind that the temperature should always be higher than 15 Degree Fahrenheit, or otherwise your tree would die.
Step 2: Propagation for star anise growing
There are 3 ways for you to start star anise growing:
- You can buy the trees that are already grown. This is an obvious way which you would not have taken too much effort to care for the tree at the first period. Just try to find a healthy tree and your work of star anise growing should be as easy as eating a pie.
- Cuttings are the second method for growing star anise. You will require a segment that is at least four inches tall. Use a sharp knife to cut it. To flourish, the cutting needs sterile soil. Your cutting will thrive best in a combination of perlite, peat, or sand. Cutting is advised because it promotes quicker root growth.
- The third method of starting star anise plants from seeds. You must maintain the right temperatures for the seed to grow in order to use this method. The perfect temperature would be from 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The seeds may be grown either directly in the garden or in containers. In any case, water often to maintain wet soil.
If you decide to start star anise growing in a container, remember to pierce drainage holes at the bottom to let the extra water drain out. Otherwise, root rot may affect your plant.
Step 3: Caring for the star anise tree
The next step when you start star anise growing is caring for the tree. Every tree needs to be cared for to grow well. There are some major points you need to focus on:
- Watering: Regular watering is necessary for star anise growing. The soil should always stay wet. However, you should be cautious since root rot will result from over irrigation. Water it less regularly throughout the winter. In actuality, just use water as necessary for star anise growing.
- Fertilizing: Star anise growing doesn’t require frequent fertilization; in fact, one application is sufficient. This plant should be fertilized in the spring with compost or aged manure. Apply fertilizer to the area of earth close to the tree, and your plant will flourish.
- Pruning: For star anise growing, to keep the plant at its current size, you should snip off the sackers as well as clip the plant. Your plant will become bushier as a result. There are no specific pruning requirements because pruning is advised but not required. The best technique to trim your star anise, though, is to remove any dead, damaged, or diseased branches.
Step 4: Pests and diseases in star anise growing
Star anise trees are very hardy plants, as was stated in the article’s beginning. As a result, it is not frequently affected by diseases and pests. This tree can actually defend itself. It is protected from pests and illnesses by antibacterial substances and pest-repelling qualities. Therefore, it is not mandatory to treat diseases for star anise growing.
Step 5: Harvesting
So now, after all those efforts in star anise growing, it is finally time to harvest them. However, you must be patient. You need to wait till the star anise is ready to harvest. If planted from seeds, it can take this tree up to 6 years to develop sufficiently to produce fruit. The fruits should be selected while they are still immature. After that, place the stars in a sunny area and let the sun dry them. Remove the seeds as they get a reddish brown color and preserve or cook them to your liking.
Star anise growing in Vietnam: The best star anise in the world
So we have learnt how to start star anise growing in 5 steps. Now it is time to study from the pioneers. In this article, we would like to point out the best star anise growing country in the world, Vietnam.
Current condition of star anise growing in Vietnam
Vietnam has started star anise growing for over 100 years, and has dozens of years in exporting experience of this product. That is why Vietnam is currently the number one exporting country of star anise, with $42.4M worth of star anise exported in 2020. The main site for star anise growing in Vietnam is Lang Son province. It is estimated that the total harvesting area of star anise growing in Vietnam is about 50.000 hectares, with total annual output of up to 6000 MTs.
Learn more about Vietnam’s star anise growing area here:
Why is Vietnam the best place for star anise growing
There are a few reasons that make Vietnam the best place for star anise growing:
- Favorable geographical conditions: The land of Vietnam has many conditions that suit the requirements of star anise production. There is no wonder why Vietnam is the native country for star anise. For example, in the province of Lang Son, where Vietnam star anise growing is mostly concentrated, the soil is perfect for growing this plant. Furthermore, having a high terrain and warm climate all year round make star anise growing in Lang Son flourish.
- Favorable geographical location: If you take a look on the world map, you can see how good the geographical location of Vietnam is for trading. Vietnam lies almost in the center of Asia, and has a coastline that is as long as the country itself. The Pacific Ocean that covers most of Vietnam is also the Ocean that has a major contribution to world trade. It opens the route from Vietnam to all of South-East Asia, most of Asia, and the Americas. This allows many Vietnamese products, besides star anise growing, to develop and be exported.
- Governmental support: Officials in Vietnam, one of the two countries that are home to the star anise growing, pays many attention to the spice, offering workshops on planting techniques for regional small producers, and providing low-interest loans to local farmers and companies. In order to increase the export of Vietnamese star anise, the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam additionally encourages businesses to take part in agricultural fairs.
Importing Vietnamese star anise growing
We now all know that Vietnam has the best star anise growing application. Their star anise is also recognized for high quality and reasonable price. Then, how can you import this products from Vietnam? Here’s all the answers.
Finding suppliers of star anise growing
Everyone who wants to import star anise growing from Vietnam needs a supplier. There are many ways you can do this. If you are familiar with the Vietnamese market, it would be much easier for you. Or better, if you have done business with some Vietnamese suppliers before, even if they are in other industries, you can ask them for contacts of star anise growing suppliers.
But we want to make our article suitable for everyone. So if you are totally new to the Vietnamese market or the star anise growing market, here are some methods that may be helpful:
- Internet: Internet can be seen as the most useful tool for finding information. You can find literally anything you want when you have an Internet connection. However, keep in mind that the information on the Internet may not be true. You should be careful when finding suppliers on-line because they might be scammers. Therefore, always have critical thinking and always get as much information possible about the supplier you have found.
- Find through brokers: Hiring a broker is also a smart way. This is also, in my opinion, the least effort way. All you have to do is find one, give them the demand, and pay them after the work is done. The only disadvantage is that sometimes this process may last for a long time. This is because the information from you and your suppliers must go through another person, which might make it more time-consuming or even deviated.
There are some more ways, but it is not appropriate to show all of them in this post. You can find out more ways to find star anise growing suppliers here: Vietnam star anise suppliers
If you are already here and really looking for a Vietnamese supplier for star anise growing, to save your time, we have a suggestion:
K-Agriculture Factory is now one of the best star anise suppliers on the market. They are a company that has been operating for over 25 years. Their star anise growing area is located in Lang Son province. They also have a factory in Quang Ninh, with the capability to supply up to 300 tons of star anise growing each month.
With the partnership with the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam, their goal is to bring Vietnamese agriculture goods like star anise growing to the international market, thus enhancing the economy of Vietnam. K-Agriculture always ensures the highest quality of products with the cheapest price.
K-Agriculture Factory has exported Vietnamese agriculture products to the world for over 20 years, exporting to over 80 countries. Their credibility is indisputable, so you will not need to worry about it. You can check some of the following images of past performances from K-Agriculture.
Or otherwise contact them at:
WhatsApp: +84 855 555 794
Understanding the procedures
There are many procedures that you need to go through when importing goods from Vietnam such as star anise. The following is the standard procedures from K-Agriculture, the best star anise supplier from Vietnam:
These are all the most important information about star anise growing. If you are interested in the product, please visit our website or simply fill in the form below so that we can take the best care of you: